When you start your search for some of the most innovative ways to plan your landscape in Southern California you will be bombarded with a variety of landscape styles and ideas. One of the most modern gardening trends taking hold of the Los Angeles area is xeriscaping. Loosely defined, xeriscaping refers to the conservation of water through carefully planned and creative landscaping.
This style of landscaping was originally developed for drought-prone areas of the country, and with a wide acceptance of this model the principles have a modern appeal. In many areas of Southern California water is an expensive and limited commodity, which means that designing your yard with an eye for sustainability is a must.
While all xeriscapes have water conservation in common, they do not have a universal look. It is possible to achieve almost any visual appeal using the principles of xeriscaping.
There are a number of benefits to xeriscaping, including:
- The biggest benefit of applying this landscaping model to your home is water preservation. You can potentially reduce your outdoor water usage by 50 to even 75 percent.
- These types of yards are almost always much lower maintenance. Watering needs are minimal, and can be achieved with a simple irrigation system.
- By choosing plants that are native to Southern California, your need for potentially dangerous chemical supplements is drastically reduced.
- A well xeriscaped yard can also raise property values, which helps offset any costs incurred creating your outdoor space.
- Xeriscaped lawns tend to have very little turf areas, which means no need for a pollution inducing lawn mower. These laws can be easily sculpted with an occasional use of a reel mower.
- By using native plants, shrubs and trees you can offer a healthy habitat for local wildlife.
There are a wide variety of trees, shrubs, plants and flowers that are an excellent choice for those who plan to xeriscape their lawn. You can find options that suit almost any aesthetic from a roaming English garden to a well organized garden plot, you can find a plan that will compliment your home perfectly. There are even a number of fruits, vegetables and herbs that can be included in a xeriscaped garden. Some of the best herbs for this garden style include: bee balm, lavender, marjoram, yarrow, sweet alyssum, oregano, thyme, rosemary, Russian sage and lamb’s ears. If a fresh vegetable from the garden is an appealing option you might want to consider onions, broccoli, cabbage, spinach, radish, beets, leaf lettuce, southern peas, okra, sweet potatoes and muskmelons.
Because xeriscaping has taken hold in the drought-prone areas in and around Los Angeles, these are many landscaping services that now specialize in the creation and maintenance of xeriscaped yards. By working with an experienced team of professionals you can create and implement the garden style that you are looking for.
To learn more about Southern California real estate opportunities where you can plan the garden of your dreams, contact our luxury real estate experts. We specialize in high-end properties in the most exclusive neighborhoods in Southern California.
$2,590,000 : 30081 HARVESTER Road, Malibu4 beds, 4 baths
$3,780,000 : 3922 RAMBLA ORIENTA, Malibu4 beds, 4 baths
$2,395,000 : 18420 WAKECREST Drive, Malibu3 beds, 2 baths
$2,495,000 : 3530 SHOREHEIGHTS Drive, Malibu4 beds, 3 baths
$2,695,000 : 31562 BROAD BEACH Road, Malibu3 beds, 3 baths
See all City of Malibu Luxury Homes For Sale.
(all data current as of 10/19/2017)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.