Purchasing a luxury watch requires taking many factors into consideration. Not only do you want to purchase a timepiece that is effective and efficient, you also want to purchase one that you will feel proud to show off as you wear it throughout the day. Even more importantly, you should be sure to take the time to research the various types of timepieces that are available so you can be sure to purchase one that will be a great investment. If you are interested in purchasing a watch that will increase in value in the future, here are a few tips to keep in mind.
Tip #1: Purchase from a Top Luxury Brand
When searching for the perfect luxury watch purchase, the amount of time the brand has been in business is of little importance. Rather, it is important to purchase a brand that is reputable and of high quality. Some of the top luxury brands in the world include:
- Audemars Piguet: One of the world’s most expensive brands.
- Chopard: Swiss-based company founded in 1860. It is one of only a few luxury brands that has worked to develop ladies watches.
- Patek Philippe: Located in Geneva and the Vallee de Joux. The company was founded in 1851 when it started supplying watches to Queen Victoria.
- Piaget: Founded in 1874 and known for its extravagant style and superior quality.
- Vacheron Constantin: The world’s oldest watchmaker and first to develop engine-turned dials.
Tip #2: Look for Something Unique
Regardless of the brand, purchasing a watch that is unique and that is part of a limited batch is important when purchasing an investment piece. The fewer watches available within the batch, the more valuable your piece will become over time. Look for watches that were produced to mark a special event or a landmark that is important to history. Some specific pieces that are expected to increase significantly in value over the next ten to twenty years include:
- Lange & Sohne Tourbograph “Pour le Merite” (only 51 models)
- Breguet Marine Platinum & Rose Gold (only 7 models exist)
- P. Journe Vagabondage II (only 69 platinum and 68 rose gold pieces)
- Patek Philippe 5130P Mecca Edition World Time Platinum (only 149 created)
- Richard Mille RM011 Ti Americas White Limited Edition (only 30 pieces)
- Vacheron Constantin Historiques American 1921 Boutique New York (only 64 made)
Tip #3: Keep the Paperwork
Once you have purchased your luxury timepiece, be sure to hang on to any paperwork that came with the watch. This should include a paper certifying your purchase as well as any paperwork documenting the history of the watch.
Tip #4: Take Proper Care of the Piece
As with any investment, the better you care for your watch, the more it will increase in value. Therefore, you should only wear your investment piece on rare occasions. After wearing it, be sure to clean it thoroughly and then store it in a box for safe keeping.
We’re a luxury real estate company who specializes in exquisite properties throughout Southern California. Please contact us so that we may assist you with your luxury real estate needs.