Southern California is known for its beautiful weather and unique culture. If you are interested in art, here are a few current and upcoming projects that you might want to explore.
Metro Expo Line Feature Unique Art
If you are looking for art, you can simply take a ride on the Metro’s recently-opened 6.6-mile long Expo Line Extension. Featuring unique art installations at stops along the way, you can take some time to admire custom art at each stop. Planned and created by skilled artists mostly from Southern California, you can enjoy a wide variety of styles. Some of the pieces you can see include:
- Westwood/Rancho Park Station: Depictions of commuters from unexpected perspectives completely by Abel Alejandre, who also created a mural for the 1984 Olympic Games.
- Expo/Sepulveda Station: Colorful and vibrant illustrations of the area surrounding the station from a bird’s eye view created by Susan Logoreci.
- Expo/Bundy Station: Important places, people and things from the surrounding neighborhood interwoven on billowing sashes created by Nzuji de Magalhaes.
- 26th Street/Bergamont Station: Representations of different elements of the community and its natural landscape created by Constance Mallinson.
- 17th Street/SMC Station: Features fashion styles that can be witnessed during a daily commute representing diverse backgrounds created by Carmen Argote.
- Downtown Santa Monica Station: Offers images representing a multitude of cultures while paying tribute to the area’s past and anticipated future created by accomplished muralist Judithe Hernandez.
If you really want to learn more about the art, you can even take a free art tour through the Metro.
Artists Paint Walls in Koreatown Schools
Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools are currently working on a massive public art and education project that involves gathering artists from around the world to paint murals on their buildings. The project will honor Robert F. Kennedy at the site of his assignation in 1968. Altogether, 28 artists will participate in what is known as the Branded Arts RFK Mural Festival. As the muralists work on transforming the white walls into works of art, students will be able to participate in workshops, many of which will be conducted by the artists themselves. Some of the artists participating in the event include:
- Colette Miller
- Kenny Scharf
- Shepard Fairey
This event is not the first time that murals honoring Kennedy have been created in the schools. In 2010, Judith Baca painted two murals in his honor within the old Ambassador ballroom. The area is now used as a media center by the school system.
Masonic Temple Museum to Open in Early 2017
Purchased by Guess? Founders Maurice and Paul Marciano in 2013, the Scottish Rite Masonic Temple on Wilshire Boulevard has been mostly kept locked up despite the brothers’ plans to turn the building into a private museum to house their personal art collections. It has been a long time coming, but former MOCA curator Philipp Kaiser has reportedly been selected to pick out pieces for the Marciano collection. Furthermore, a publicist for the museum reports that it will probably be open in early 2017.
Built in 1961, the building itself is a piece of art designed by noted architectural designer and artist Millard Sheets. The 100,000-square-foot building is currently under renovation, but the process is expected to be completed around September.
These are just a few of the great things you will find in and around Los Angeles to discover and explore. To learn more about the area, contact our team of luxury real estate experts. We specialize in high-end properties in Los Angeles and Southern California’s most exclusive communities.
$2,799,999 : 10225 SCENARIO Lane, Los Angeles3 beds, 3 full, 1 half baths
$2,900,000 : 1916 N CRESCENT HEIGHTS, Los Angeles3 beds, 4 full baths
$2,995,000 : 300 N Plymouth Boulevard, Los Angeles4 beds, 5 full baths
$3,395,000 : 3207 MAPLEWOOD Avenue, Los Angeles5 beds, 3 full, 1 quarter baths
$2,095,000 : 11430 Clover Avenue, Los Angeles3 beds, 3 full, 1 half baths
See all City of Los Angeles Luxury Homes For Sale.
(all data current as of 5/29/2017)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.